Saturday, January 17, 2009

The 7th Day...

Ali, Scott, Karen and Crackers Everywhere!!
We are there!!! Week One is almost in the bag.... and with the comments to the blog for yesterday, I am hearing feelings of uncertainty in where this is all taking us... so I would like to help with that if I can~

I do understand that life is always measured as the effect of what we do in relationship to how it impacts our quality of life. That is a constant daily feedback and definitely carb depletion is not the way we want to live all the time... too difficult to function at such a energy deprived state and also it is not healthy for the body to have to maintain the chemical process of ketosis for long periods of time. We are just not meant to do that and as of tomorrow we are going to bring those vital carbs~ complex/quality carbohydrates back into our daily nutritional intake.

What is most important, as with everything we do, we must always assess, compare and learn from the process... so be sure to use this past week as a litmus stick of sorts~ it is a test by which the remainder of what you do is to "read the signals" your body sends. Compare what you are seeing, feeling and document the changes both mentally and in writing as you journal. Be determined to learn how this change in the way you put nutrients in your body effects you and strive to find a place where you are changing/cleaning your intake for the good health that it imparts and also to be able to function at the highest quality of life possible.

By all means, we do not want to go back to our former way of eating and thinking about food~ in converse, we want to bring a wide selection of complex carbs to our diet that, in the coming weeks, rev up our metabolism to its minimum threshold with little to no excess carbs to store in over-abundance. Ocassionally we will carb up and overflow the system... take notice of how that feels... you may be very surprised to see the differences, some good ~ some not so good depending on how your insulin reacts to the carbs... everyone is different so tune in and learn your body's signals!

Just think of how you use to see food prior to this week and how you are seeing what you choose for fuel now. We are going to continue that thought process, only now we will have carbs on board to do their job in keeping us burning brightly:-)

I will try to help with clarity for next week's plan either via Group email or the blog... so stay tuned:-)

Love,
Tracey

8 comments:

Donna said...

Oh MY GOSH!!!!!
I have lost my MUFFIN TOP! I just put on a pair of cords that are usually tight around the hip, and
BEHOLD...the muffin top has disappeared! GOOD RIDDANCE I say!
Yes, I am very excited my friends, and SO looking forward to a week with
a. more choices of food
b. having some energy to exercise!
(I am with you Ali, I have NONE.)
Once again I repeat, doing this WITH FRIENDS is crucial, I really hope to see the rest of the crackers posting on here....

Tracey Trainer said...

Coup de Grace to the Muffin Top!
Exciting Results Donna...
I am so pleased for you and all of the Crackers that made it faithfully thru Week 1...
TT

Desiree said...

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that after week 1-- you never have to do that again -- one small step and you have already trained it so start metabolizing more efficiently.

I felt the very same way at the end of week one.. but I could totally tell my button up shirts and pants were fitting nicely -- so it was something to show me that "hey- there might be something to this way of life"

Remember this is not a low carb diet. After week 1 you dont count your carbs.. (as in less than 20 g) -- if you have 1 serving than thats your one and then another serving lof something later then that's your 2nd.

You can have your carb up days (mine was yesterday). It was great. And in another week it will be better because after week 3 you can have your wine or other beverage of choice. All these are great treats-rewards for working hard and looking great.. especially if your clothes continue to get looser.

Week 2- I completely enjoyed the carb edge..and i think wrote earlier this week that I really sweated like crazy when I went to do the same workout I had been doing... YEAH ME-- but body is burning fat..

I am heading into Week 3 tomorrow - which mirrors your week 2. I look forward to hearing about all your good news. I hope you all measured (i am not big on the scale - it makes me depressed - so I stick with tape and I am losing inches ALL over)
BABY Steps!

Desiree said...

One of my favorite things.... I can make ahead and have for outings...


Egg Popovers
Makes 14
Preheat oven 350

14 slices of turkey breast (not too thin)
7 eggs
7 egg whites
1/2 - 3/4 cup of shredded low fat cheddar
and I added 3/4 cup of salsa but you could probably go with just salt and pepper

Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and place one slice of turkey in each cup
Scramble eggs, egg whites, and mix in cheese and salsa if desired. Use ladel to fill turkey cups with egg mixture. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Take out and run knife around rim of each cup. Let cool for 5 mins and remove from tin. Great to eat right out of oven, or cool put in ziplock and take/have for later.
(not my recipe)

OTHER FAVORITE THING THIS WEEK:
Sugar free jello with Redi Whip :-)

Cindy Casady said...

Hello Crackers
It has been awhile, I know. I was doing really good and ended up getting very sick. I went to the doc on Thursday had a fever of 101, my lungs filled up and so on. So once I get well, I am going to start again. I was down 3.8 lbs!! I still am so sick. Great job Donna on losing your muffin top!! Thank you Tracey for all your help on Wednesday when I was trying to figure out what to do being sick. Keep up all the good work Crackers!

Laurie said...

Hi everyone. I had my oatmeal this morning and it was wonderful. I also want more energy to work out. I have not felt great in the gym. I am going later today to take advantage of the oatmeal. Tracey, I have some questions for you. I am traveling so don't have access to my health and fitness books, but I am wondering what a safe rule of thumb is for carbs to proteins. I know that today I get one extra carb but am also adding some milk. I have also been eating a tsp or two of natural peanut butter a day just for a lift and to add some fat since I don't normally eat much meat. At some point I need to get a grasp on the addit carbs I can safely add other than the one or two servings we are allowed on certain days. I am comfortable with trying to get about 125 or more grams of protein based upon my body weight, but I don't know that carb count. I am psyched that I have lost so much weight, but I am ultimately concerned about body comp and muscle. I need to get some of my muscle back (while shedding the fat). Lastly, I also did not understand why we should not eat veggies between meals. I might as well be in a pasture I am such a grazer. Thank you.

Laurie

Donna said...

Hello Crackers!
How is everyone feeling? GREAT I hope! I have seen some of you here and there and it appears that the majority of us are doing quite well! I know I am feeling good, and now that some carbs are back in my life I went to the gym this morning. It was tough after a week off but by golly I did it and will do it again tomorrow!
I am inspired by all of you who have hung so well on this journey even with all the roadblocks (ie, luncheons, dinners, receptions, MANILA!) but you know, that just shows how much we want this new life style to be the one for us for FOREVER. I am so much more conscious of my intake and really really am aware of when I am truely HUNGRY. That to me is a biggie since during Christmas I was pretty much inhaling whatever...
Happy also to report there is cottage cheese AND eggbeaters on the comm shelf, and NO I did not buy it all!
Enough from here, just wanted to shout out and say hello to my friends!

Determined Donita said...

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to share my Italy trip success with you. Dr. King's long weekend found me in Italy with my husband and sick with flu/cold for 4 of the 5 days. Normally, when I am in Italy, there is the typcial eat feast. Breakfast begins with cappucino, cornetti (injected with creme and cherry), lunch the usual 2-3 courses beginning with a pasta dish and ending with way tooooooo much food after. Dinner is pretty much the same as lunch with the difference of going straight to bed 2-3 hours after the meal.

Since I already had 6 days under my belt of protein, vegetables, smaller portions and more often
AND most importantly, the desire not to see all the food in my body. So, here are the lessons I learned week 1. Thanks for your support and encouragement, Ladies! Forge onward.

Lessons I am walking away with this trip in ITALY and eating:
~ My stomach/body doesn't need all that food
~ I do need to eat smaller meals throughout the day
~ I can eat out if I stay focused
~ I DO NOT NEED the sweet carbs
~ It was better to eat the small amount of fruit instead of the other types of carbs (cornetti, italian sweets, etc, bread)
~ I didn't beat myself up with the "failure discussion". I chose to eat the foods because I wanted to, thought about what was better for me and enjoyed the eating with Salvatore and other friends.
~ I am strong and can focus
~ I will continue this week as week 1 until Sunday then begin week 2
~ I tried to at least walk a little bit even though I was in bed for 3 days. Thank goodness for the 2 stories in our house.

That's about it for me. I just wanted to share my successes in Bell' Italia!